[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Chicken Soup...etc.

  • From: "Steve Grainger" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sally Hayden" <danannkennel@xxxxxxx>, rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 14:13:10 -0500

Wow..that is a big difference is price..pro Plan adult..right now at pet
smarts is 24.99 a bag.they are running a special..but usually it is 27.00 a
bag.The performance food is 33.00 a bag...however..I save weight
circles..and that is an additional 7.00 off a bag so I get it for 26.00.
Pro Plan also has a special where..you buy a bag..you get a case of pro
Plan can food free...can food is about 13.00 a case...Yesterday I bought
two bags of Performance for 52.00 and got two cases of can food free.Not a
bad deal..C.Grainger

love to feed a human kibble but that would require selling the farm to do
so.  I just tangled with  Petco.  Everytime they put dog food on sale they
raise the price a $1.00. before it goes on sale and of course it does not
come bad down.
>  A 37.5 lb bag of proplan adult is now $33.99 plus tax.
>
> I have one I feed venision and rice to.   $41 a bag.
>
> No wonder I can't show dogs

rice, whole grain white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed
tocopherols), oatmeal, potatoes, cracked pearled barley, millet, duck,
salmon, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, kelp, carrots, peas,
apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake,
potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, vitamin E
supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous
sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine
mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin
A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium
selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement,
menadione sodium bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin,
vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
>         These are the ingredients as posted on the web site. You will
notice the 1st 2 ingredients are chicken and turkey. Then they list chicken
meal and turkey meal. The problem with this is in order to create a product
that can be "extruded" into a kibble they must remove all of the moisture
from the chicken and the turkey. When they do that, it takes over 50 % of
the wieght by volume out of the chicken and the turkey. Chicken and turkey
are NOT the 1st 2 ingredients in the kibble. Chicken meal and turkey meal
are.

>         This is legal but disreputable advertising and AAFCO does nothing
when they do it. Diamond is a good company but they have embarked down the
slippery slope of not being up front with their customers. Some months ago
they sent a sales rep to see us as we had stopped using Diamond for the
kennel dogs. We used to buy a pallet every 3 weeks during the busy times
and stopped. The rep was a little too "Slick" for my taste and tried to
convince me they had a new process to extrude liquids. When I pressed him
for proof he backed off and let the subject drop.

>         Read the labels with knowledge you get from others on "Da List".
Other than the decptive listing of chicken and turkey, the product looks
good and if it works...that's all the better. I do, however, suggest to use
"human grade" kibbles when possible. The difference in quality can be
striking as they are manufactured under supervision of USDA instead of
AAFCO.

www.rivendellgsd.com<http://www.rivendellgsd.com/>

>   POST is Copyrighted 2005.  All material remains the property of the
>
>   ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN
ANY MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS

admin@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>.