[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Chest, depth, gut & root...<G>

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>, <shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx>, <Scharo777@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 22:49:47 -0800

Not sure what I said that is "not true" in regard to this post.......but I
would never argue that these
Breeds or ANY breed does not bloat.   Especially since that is my point!!   I
believe every breed
and dog is capable of bloat in the right circumstances....not to mention a lot
of animals of other
species..
My point was that I do not believe a Great Dane has the same rib and chest
conformation as our
GSD ( nor do I consider them a deep chested breed )   and that I find Setters
to have a more
similar ribbing and chest depth....yet Great Danes are always listed FIRST for
a "bloating breed".
I certainly don't find Basset Hounds  or Blood Hounds or Goldens or
Rottweiler's or St. Bernards,
etc. to have similar chest and ribbing conformation either........
In other words....I personally do not 'buy into'  the "deep chested"   Breeds
and breed types being
one of the causes of bloat.
I would seriously consider a weak and long messenteric root to be part of the
problem though.....

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com