[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Change happens

  • From: Karen M. Carloni <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 20:00:26 -0400

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 19:06:06 EDT, ELG440@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Speaking of Irish, when I judged ARBA we had a red and white Irish Setter
>breed. I was told that was the original color and they went away from it.
>But,  they told me it was being brought back.  I was told it was by changing
>the  standard.

LOL! The Irish Red & Whites were the *original* color of
most (all?) Irish Setters back in the day. The piebald
color pattern fell out of favor for some reason - perhaps
people thought the solid dogs were flashier? - and they
were nearly rendered extinct. They've come back strong,
however and are now an AKC-recognized breed. Nice dogs!
I'd like to have one. But they are decidedly *not* Irish
setters any longer, and it's not just a color thing.

In my breed (English setters), the lemon and liver beltons
nearly went extinct. I don't know what the problem was
with the lemons, but it seems that most liver dogs had
lighter, hazel-colored eyes and people claimed they were
harsh-looking and spoiled the soft, gentle expression an
English is supposed to have. So people just quit breeding
and showing them, even though we have no color DQs in our
Standard. They too are on their way back. I've been in
setters since 1983, and never seen one in the flesh yet.

Fashions come and go and are sometimes harsh mistresses.
--
Karen C.
Email: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx