[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Central Vacuum's vs ?????

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 08:02:35 EST

I don't have a central vac in the current (and final!) house, but the ones
I've used didn't have enough umph and the attachments drove me crazy.

I have an upstairs and a downstairs Oreck.  They are pretty much
indestructible and for the times I mess up (I ran over a dog toy under a bed),
they are
easy enough to take apart and pull the problem out.  I like that  they are
light.  The bags can be an item; QVC has the best prices.  I  guess the one for
downstairs is going on 7 years old and it's been in the shop  once when I was
too lazy to change the belts myself.  The upstairs one is  4+ years old,
doesn't get used as much and hasn't been serviced.

That said, I saw something neat under a kitchen cabinet recently...there is
a little "vent" with a toe switch...you sweep towards the vent, touch the
switch  and dog hair/crumbs etc are swept somewhere.  (OK, as long as I'm
sweeping
 I guess a dustpan can accomplish the same thing!)  But hey, we are an
automated nation!  When I got up this AM the scobba was in the kitchen
blinking
"F"...well that's what I was thinking too because that means it didn't  finish
the kitchen last PM, so I figured the filter needed cleaning and took it  apart
to clean it, but, no that wasn't it but when I pulled out the book "F"  means
the front wheel was stuck, and then I went to make coffee and the  coffee
maker was blinking "not ready, add more water".  There are several  other
things
that could have been blinking, but weren't, so THAT'S good!

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds

In a message dated 3/1/2008 11:06:15 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

So, yes  another discussion about Vacuums, I know it's almost like religion

My  question is for those folks who have a Central Vac system, did anyone
choose to not use and go with something else like a Dyson, Oreck, Kirby
etc..

We used to have a Kirby, very sturdy and probably last  forever, but to heavy
for the D.A. , the cheap vacs we have been  purchasing of late have lasted
6-12 months.

Thoughts?

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)