[ SHOWGSD-L ] Caution Raw Feeders

  • From: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Germanshepherds4show@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (AAB GSD List), showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (AA GSD List)
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 03:38:20 +0000

Over the past two weeks I'd noticed Gilli had progressively worsening bad
breath.  Having been a vet tech the obvious went through my mind...bad
tooth...bad kidneys...the big "C" ... so I've checked and rechecked her teeth.
I've monotored her water intake.  I've watched her behavior and energy level,
eating habits, swallowing, kept holding her mouth shut to make sure her sinuses
were open, ect.  Everything you can possibly imagine AND made an appointment to
take her in to my vet, although I REALLY didn't want to hear anthing official
since I've lost two to cancer too recently.
Tonight, two days before "D" or should I say "V" day for the vet appointment I
decided to check down her throat again and what do I find???  Wedged side to
side behind her top teeth in the back of her mouth, right against the roof of
her mouth but not down her throat, a raw bone about four inches long flat but
slimmer than a pencil - probably a sliver from a rib bone.   Had to work to get
it out.  She never had problems swallowing and never gave me any indication it
was there.  If she didn't act as my alarm clock every morning, giving me
sloppy, happy, and progressively STINKIER kisses to get me up, I might not have
noticed it for months.....

It was absolutely revolting!!  Slimy and stank to high heavens.  Stomach
turning stinky!  My guys will always get raw BIG cow bones BUT from now on I'll
be digging a little deeper when I do her, and the other guys', weekly grooming
and once over..........

Oh what a relief it is........
--
Suzanne