[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Cause of death? (not GSD)

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 08:08:48 -0400 (EDT)

I was thinking the same...except it sounds as if the dog was treated for
epilepsy.

Usually before a dog is treated for epilepsy, other causes for seizures are
 ruled out including but not limited to a tumor somewhere. I wonder if this
dog  had a tumor that was causing the seizures and that caused her
death????   BUT then again if there was a tumor or something else weird
neurologically, not  a whole heck of a lot you can do so maybe the better
choice was to
treat for the  possibility of epilepsy, reduce the frequency of the seizures
through RXs  and focus on quality of life w/o billing the owner for an MRI
and an extensive  work up with no good answers at the end anyway.  Who knows?

You know, that's how vets (and some old farm vets today) still practice.
I'm old enough to remember having an old dog and not knowing the Latin names
for  every ailment.  I have no idea what our first mixed breed died from. I
think she was 15+. My sister's husky, our next dog lived to a nice old age,
I  remember the vet suspecting cancer at the end but he sent us home w/o
any  testing and just suggested we spoil her.  Good advice.  Then we  rescued
a GSD and all hell broke loose <G>.

Someone called looking for a puppy y-day.  They lost a 6 year old male  who
had quite the history of issues and it sounded like they had been on the
phone the whole weekend.  In the past year they spent over $4,000 on 2
surgeries and truthfully as the gal related the story, I'm not sure I would
have
done the second surgery, which more or less turned into an autopsy w/ no
answers.  Now if I was getting the picture from just a phone conversation,
why didn't the vet?  Then, thinking about our conversation later, I  realized
perhaps the family so in love with their boy may have said "try  anything".
 Tough questions.  Nice family and they may have found a  puppy.

I'm very sorry for your friend Jessica.  It's very difficult to talk  to
someone who has just lost a dog and get the medical questions answered.   In
time, let us know if you get to the bottom of this.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 8/8/2011 1:16:48 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

OMG!!  That vet should be ......................I don't know  what!!!   How
tragic!!  My deepest sympathies to the  owners.

Sounds like untreated epilepsy or similar neurological  disease.  What kind
of vet treats an animal this way???  If it is  any consolation to the
owners, the dog was probably completely unaware and not  in any pain.

Paula

Home of BIS, BISS, Multi-Group Winning, AKC  JAM/AOE, International &
American Champion, Bronze Grand Champion Asgard  Harley Davidson v Plamark, HT,
PT, CGC, TC, HIC, OFA CHIC #64047 (Hips,  Elbows, Cardiac, & Thyroid), 1st
male German Shepherd Dog Grand Champion,  Lifetime #1 GSD in California &
Michigan (AKC Stats as of 7/22/11), 2011  Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show
Invitee.