[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Caucasian Mountain Dogs...Orvchaka...

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rbuffdogs@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 13:16:01 -0700 (PDT)

But Kathy, I say to you what I said to the vet tech with the Filo Brazilo.....

  And what is it you do for a living?

  You work with dogs, you understand dogs.  You know how to handle a dog that
might otherwise make its own decisions.  This woman had no such experience, as
noted by prior vioations of dog laws in other counties in the state.
  sheila
Rbuffdogs@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 8/20/2006 10:49:57 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
windwych@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I have been on their list for awhile. These dogs are like having a 450
magnum sitting on your coffee table. They are bred to think for themselves and
live on the Steppes guarding the flock. They are HUGE to boot...similar to a
Leonberger.
It amazes me why anyone is surprised when some idiot wanting a status symbol
purchases a pup from a breed that is bred for a specific job, has 0 clue how
to raise it and the dog turns on them. If you are not alpha with these
breeds, you are out of luck when they hit the teenage "Im bigger than you"
phase.
Herding/working dogs are brilliant animals...bred to make decisions without
the input of a human. Apparently, this dog did. So sad. Dawn Restuccia

Dorothy, and no this aint Kansas

Before you lump all of these dogs into the same category as ".45 magnums"
kind of like how people stereotype Rotties, Pits, etc...you should know that I
own one of these dogs. I didn't purchase her for a "status" symbol, and you
generalization of these animals is insulting and closed minded...this is how
breed specific legislation gets started.....each individual, and each line
is different, with different temperaments , just like GSDs or any other breed.

The Ovcharkas indeed can think for themselves and considering they are bred
to protect livestock and home, that is a good trait. Large , oh yes.
Smart...as a whip. Would I recommend this breed to everyone, no....but then I
wouldn't recommend a high drive GSD or a cowardly one to everyone either.
Each breed comes with specific traits that need to be matched to an owner.
Each breed small or large has to go to owners that you hope are at least as
smart as the dog.

I have seen atrocities committed by virtually every breed
imaginable.....from giant to toy.
I invite you to come and visit my Ovcharka, and others the rare few there
are and educate yourself , rather than spewing rhetoric and rumor that you have
heard somewhere...my guess would be on the show "Designer Dogs" I guarantee
you will change your attitude about the breed. Don't be guilty as so many
are that know NOTHING of a breed and have NO involvement in it , of making a
blanket judgement.

Kathy Tank
Proud Ovcharka owner.

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training