[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Cat Bites

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: helen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 18:23:23 -0400

Hmmm.  I've had cats all my life...and from time to time, most of them
will grab you.  I don't know what the books say, but I think it's normal
behaviour, in a way.  Either they're mad at you for something and you
will never know what it is, and they've punished you...or...they love
you so much they have to bite you -- yes, really.  Or the hormones are
kicking in, which happens even with neutered cats if it isn't done early
enough.  Watch them breed...they look like they're killing one
another...really.
    The cat I have now bites from time to time, and I had to have him
declawed because of the swipes he takes at me (he doesn't do it to the
dogs or he'd be gone).  He knows to run after he bites, tho, because I
swat him...that's for the ones I can't foresee.
Sometimes I can tell he's planning on biting, and I say to him "Don't
you bite" and he doesn't...he flicks his tail and looks away...he can't
look me in the eye when I catch him plotting.............
    However, like all cats, he can be most loving when it suits him.
Usually that is late at night when all the dogs are asleep...he's so
affectionate you wouldn't think he could bite.  But he can............
    I never thought it had to do with feral...but what do I know.    All
I can tell you is if she does it again, you'll have to make a decision
then.  She probably will, and the best thing you can do if you don't
require surgery is just belt her..........and hope she doesn't think
it's a new game.
Not much help, am I?
Peggy