[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Canine parainfluenza vs canine influenza

  • From: Jen Proud <proudk911@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 19:45:33 -0500

Oh? I hadn't realized it was present for so many years in horses. I thought
it was only 1/2 to 2/3 as long. I guess that was wishful thinking! :(
So, is there any mortality rate with this flu in equines, or is it
generally mild/moderate and recoverable as with dogs? Just curious in case
I ever see it!
Thanks

Jen P & her Pack who prefer to stay flu free

On Wednesday, April 8, 2015, Theresa-GSD Stolz <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Horses have been dealing with this for years as I know it has went through
many horse barns. Never had to deal with it but do know many people that
had
to.

Canine Influenza: The Dog Flu

"The H3N8 equine influenza virus has been recognized in horses for more
than 40 years. In 2004, the H3N8 influenza virus or “flu” appears to have
“jumped” from horses to dogs. The virus had mutated into a form known as
canine influenza virus (CI virus) that is highly infective for dogs. At
first, veterinarians thought the H3N8 canine flu would be quite lethal.
Fortunately, like the human flu virus, it kills very few healthy
individuals. "

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/canine-influenza-the-dog-flu/7090

Theresa
scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx <javascript:;>

On Wednesday,
April 8, 2015, Steve D <cimarrongsd@xxxxxxxx <javascript:;>>
wrote:
OK, list help me out
here: Canine parainfluenza is part
of the vaccine in a typical 5 or 6 or 7 way
shot.Yet, there is a canine
influenza outbreak around Chicago. Since I will be going up in
that general area in the near future, is the canine
parainfluenza vaccine good enough?Or should I get a different
shot? Thanx in advance, please post
Web!http://www.cimarron-gsd.com/http://www.gsdcstl.org/Happiness is
German Shepherd
slobber on your window.

POST is Copyrighted 2015. All material remains the property of the
of any kind are permitted without prior permission of both the original
author AND of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her post. This group
and its administrators are not responsible for the comments or opinions
expressed in any post. POSTS CANNOT BE USED IN A COURT OF LAW.

<javascript:;>

http://showgsd.org/mail.html

JayDee's Proud-Haus Shepherds/Proud K911 Canine Consulting
Committed to the Total Dog you can be Proud of!!!
www.jaydeesphs.com

Support the next generation's stewards in the sport of dogs... Donate to
the German Shepherd Dog Youth Recognition Fund!
www.dogshowjuniors.com