[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Canine cosmetic surgery

  • From: "Norma Ramey" <gsdramey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gsbydezign@xxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 09:27:28 -0500

Charmaine,  I tried to respond privately to the addy you said.  However,
it was returned.   Then, I tried to forward my note to your addy from
which this note was sent and it was returned.  So, I'm giving a short bit
to everyone here about this subject.
#1 Many years ago there was a dog that was a really good one and he
finished.    Later, he was sold.   Then as he aged, some problems with
his back end became evident and the Vet discovered a testicular implant.

#2 I  knew of one that finished and also was a good dog and did
deserve the wins.  However, a friend I knew wanted to breed to him &
it was discovered the dog was a long coat.  Long coats are in a thread
right now and I, for one feel that it should be overlooked for sure if the
dog has no other faults.  I think it's a minor one anyway.   Those of you
who seem to feel the extra work on that coat is reason to not have them,
just think of the many breeds with long coats needing even far more care
than the GSD ones.  I never had one but they are easy to notice even at
a young age with the ear feathering.

#3 I feel sure, but not knowing of any, that the kink or a curl in the tails
could be altered if a clever bit of surgery is done at an early age.  I do
feel there may be some, like a couple I have known, that the fault is due
to an injury rather than genes or what have you.   Ok, I'll lurk.   Norma