[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Canine Brucellosis in Michigan...IMPORTANT

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 15:36:10 -0400

In a message sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:24 PM
"Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
The key to all of this just like any other bacterial issue ....if the
numbers are at an abnormal growth....you have a problem.    If you don't
test....you don't know.   <G>

Carolyn, you are absolutely right, but Christine makes some valid points as
well...

Here's excepts from a couple academic articles:

MYCOPLASMA INFERTILITY IN THE DOG: DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT
Donald H. Lien, DAM, Ph.D. Director Diagnostic Laboratory Associate
Professor Pathology and Theriogenology
New York State College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University

Mycoplasmas and ureaplasmas either alone, or comixed with bacteria are
frequently opportunistic, developing long term carrier states on the mucosal
membranes of the conjunctive, nasopharyngeal cavity and the urogenital tract
with no clinical expression until the *right conditions* in the host defense
system and numbers of organisms are present to invade the adult host and
embryonal, fetal or neonatal tissue.

CANINE VAGINAL FLORA
Patricia N. Olson, DVM, PhD St. Paul, Minnesota

Vaginal swabs are frequently obtained from bitches with signs of
vaginal/vestibular inflammation in an attempt to correlate a causative agent
with the reproductive disorder. Such correlation may be difficult because
many causes of inflammation of the caudal reproductive tract do not involve
an infectious etiology (de, conformation, foreign bodies). Additionally,
since the canine vagina normally harbors microorganisms, merely isolating
bacteria from the vagina does not constitute a basis for diagnosing disease
of the caudal reproductive tract.

Breeders may also request pre-breeding vaginal cultures for their bitches.
Such requests are probably not indicated unless the bitch has a history of
reproductive disease or infertility.

In other words, if the conditions are right, the Mycoplasma bacterium can
cause lots of problems, but routine testing for Mycoplasma infections can be
rather complicated due to the presence of Mycoplasma in the normal flora of
the dog's reproductive tract.

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Allemande German Shepherd Dogs
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam