[ SHOWGSD-L ] Candidates that turn me off

  • From: "LEE SMITH" <ladyaramis1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 01:53:08 -0400

Here's what turns me off:

Leaders of One: These people believe their opinions are sacrosant. They are
always in conflict with someone and only rarely counter with a well thought
out and respectful opinion. They usually have had problems with their local
clubs and often use conspiracy theories as arguments. They often have very
simplistic solutions like: All we have to do is follow Roberts Rules or the
P&P Manual.

Poor Communicators: Somehow these people believe that eye-rolling, hand
gestures, sighs and sucking noises will make their positions better
understood. It often comes as a surprise that sarcasm does not make people
sound smarter or elicit cooperation.

Voting Without Knowing What Is Going On: If someone doesn't understand an
issue, was out of the room when it was being discussed, didn't read the
pre-meeting information, or -- for what ever reason -- can't make up their
mind --OBSTAIN.  People who explain their votes because they were
"influenced," scared, or my favorite -- "I didn't know who Hunte was," don't
deserve to be on a board -- any board. Board members need to do their own
research, not rely on friends. You have no idea how many times I've heard
someone say to the  person sitting next to them, "How should I vote?"

There are very difficult and complicated decisions that are made by every
Board -- often with significant legal, ethical, and financial ramifications.
We need proven hard workers. I have yet to see a single term that didn't
have a major challenge. Most of all, we need people who will respect other
board members and understand that people are human and make mistates.
Hindsight is not much of a skill. Our board members make decisions based on
their understanding of situations. I will never again vote for someone who
tells me up front that he or she will not coorporate with someone on the
board because they believe.... Fill in your own reason.

Regards to all and good luck to the candidates.

Lee Smith