[ SHOWGSD-L ] Cancer study for human/dogs requests tissue samples from dogs

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: DaList Showgsd-l List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 07:53:45 -0800

The Van Andel Research Institute, a world class human cancer research
institute, recently received a Federally fund grant through the
National Institutes of Health/National Cancer Institute, to study five
types of cancer that occur in both dogs and humans. The ultimate goal
is to develop improved diagnostics and more individualized therapies
for both canines and people.

We are requesting the help of purebred dog owners, who may own a dog
affected with one of these cancers. The five initial cancers we are
studying are:

1) Hemangiosarcoma
2) Lymphoma
3) Osteosarcoma
4) Malignant histiocytosis
5) Melanoma of the mouth or toe

We are requesting fresh (NOT in formalin, NOT frozen) tissue samples
from tumors, when pets have biopsies, surgeries such as splenectomies,
or are euthanized. Samples may be collected post mortem, as the
euthanasia solution does not affect the DNA in either the dogâ??s
blood or in the tumor cells.

Additionally, if you have a dog with one of these cancers who has
already been treated (splenectomy, chemo, etc), we would still
appreciate a blood sample along with a histopath report confirming the
diagnosis. We need 3-5 mls of whole blood in an EDTA (purple top)
tube. It can be sent priority mail, and blood can be shipped at room
temperature.

If the pet is scheduled for surgery or, sadly, euthanasia, if you or
your veterinarian contact us ahead of time, we can FedEx a collection
kit which includes an overnight FedEx return shipping form, along with
collection media and containers.

Owner consent forms and veterinary info pages can be found on our
website, at:

http://www.vai.org/helpingdogs

I will be happy to answer any questions I can, as well. Owners,
veterinarians and researchers working together will help us to unravel
some of the mysteries of these nasty diseases.

Roe Froman, DVM
Senior Veterinary Research Scientist
Van Andel Research Institute
333 Bostwick Ave NE