[ SHOWGSD-L ] Cancer Study - How to be Involved.

  • From: Scharo777@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 09:26:27 -0400 (EDT)

____________________________________
 From: Scharoshome@xxxxxxx
To: gsdshowlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC:  Scharo777@xxxxxxx
Sent: 8/20/2011 6:00:49 P.M. Central Daylight  Time
Subj: Fwd: Cancer Study - German Shepherd Breed Groups

Thanks, Ginny for sending me this information to share.

____________________________________

I have  been working with Steve Gauthier of Veterinary Diagnostics
Institute (VDI)  in Simi Valley California and they have provided an
opportunity for
 individuals EVERYWHERE in the United States to participate in this Cancer
Research Study!! I got a lot of inquiries from those of you not in
California on my first invitation and Steve has opened this opportunity to  all
in
the U.S.. Our Canadian friends who are willing to go to the U.S. for  the
blood draw can participate as well. This laboratory is doing research in  the
early detection of Lymphoma and Hemangioscarcoma, two of the most common
cancers in GSD. The study assesses the level of the enzyme Thymidine Kinase
(TK) in the blood. TK has been shown to correlate with the rapid growth
activity of tumor cells. The higher the TK levels, the more advanced and
severe
the cancer. This study will investigate the ability of the test to  detect
cancer in the very early, pre-clinical stage.
The  researchers  are looking for German Shepherd Dogs with no history of
cancer and at the age of 5 years and above to participate by having their
blood drawn. The lab will share the test results with you and maintain your
privacy. Pet owners of dogs with high results will be contacted for
follow-up testing and advice. There is no cost to the pet owner for running
the TK
test. The blood would be drawn by your own veterinarian (you may be
responsible for a small blood-draw fee from your vet) in a kit provided by  the
lab with prepaid shipping to the lab. Anyone who is interested in
participating in this should contact Steve Gauthier of VDI directly at
_gauthiers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:gauthiers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)  .  Steve will
supply you
with the Owner Consent Agreement that you must fill  out and submit for each
qualifying dog you wish to enter into the study.  Once that is returned to
VDI, they will provide you with the details  involved for sample collection.
I would like to see us help them out with as  many as 150 dogs--you can
enroll as many dogs over the age of 5 and get  anyone with a GSD to
participate.
I am thinking since this is open to all,  that the sooner you do this the
better your chances of being able to  participate â??there is likely to be a
point where they have the required  number of samples that they need.

Permission to cross post
Ginny  Altman