[ SHOWGSD-L ] Canadian national

  • From: "Laurie Pruett" <pruett@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:07:45 -0400

In a message dated 7/18/2007 10:18:49 AM Central Daylight Time,
gsdk9rat@xxxxxxxx writes:
Can someone explain why canceling the Canadian National affects so many
others specialty shows? Thanks, ignorance is bliss, but sometimes it's a
nuisance..LOL!

Our club was willing to hold our show but the NH club was not.  And NH did have
a point - we probably would not have had majors as many of the handlers that
come to our shows will be in Canada.  We didn't dare stand alone on the weekend
as we probably would have lost our shirts.  We couldn't do back to back
specialties because the AKC only lets us do two shows a year and we had a show
on the NE futurity weekend.  We've been unable to find another date that
doesn't conflict with another club.  Oh, well - at least people going to the
Canadian national will have an easier time finding a place to sleep.  The
specialty clubs and shows in the states keep dwindling but that's not as
important as the Canadian national, apparently.   AVGSDC joins the GSDC of
Western Mass, the GSDC of Eastern Connecticut, and Jersey Hills GSDC as clubs
who no longer hold specialty shows (and that's just off the top of my head -
there are probably others).  Those are lost majors and lost income for the
handlers.  Long live the all-breeds as that's where we're heading, slowly but
surely, with the demise of our specialty show giving clubs.

Laurie Pruett
AVGSDC