[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Canadian Fut/mat system

  • From: zilla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 13:31:47 -0500

As a long time (life) member of my local club, the GSDC of Manitoba, Inc. I
have been involved at the board level for many years, and have been the
Show Secretary for probably a total of 6 or 7 years during that time of
over 22 years.  The GSDC Manitoba is an affiliate of the GSDC Canada,
holding a GSDC Canada regional specialty in conjunction with our own local
specialty, as well as hosting the Central Region Futurity/Maturity each
year.  I think (and hope) that the GSDC Manitoba is considered a reputable
and credible club in the GSD world, and we always attempt to put on a
well-run and classy weekend for our exhibitors, judges and spectators.

That said, I just cannot abide by a parent club who condones and allows an
unentered dog competing (for whatever reason, if the dog is not entered
correctly BY MAY 1 OF EACH YEAR, IT DON'T GO!) by way of VOTING
RINGSIDE.  What is that?  Then, to do a 180 flip and disregard the
win?  Who on earth decided to VOTE on a dog competing in the first
place?  Then vote because of pressure to disallow it?  What is this, a club
of clowns?

If something like this happened in my region, it would have ended before it
started, and I know I, and the members of the GSDC Manitoba would not have
allowed it, and no amount of pressure from exhibitors, committees or parent
club board members would have changed that.  Not only should a show
committee and a dog club be prepared to stand by some kind of ethics and
protocol, it should be prepared to enforce them.  Obviously the ethics and
protocol of the GSDCC is in question, and those allowing such inane things
to occur should be removed.  Episodes such as this just make a farce out of
a dog show system that's already in question at times, and in some places
on the brink of extinction.

Having dealt with numerous faux pas and outright stupidity concerning some
of the parent club antics over the years, this incident really doesn't
surprise me, but it does shame me.

Sincerely
Jill Dickin
Secretary, GSDC Manitoba