[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Canada bound

  • From: ORSuite@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 19:07:36 EST

In a message dated 11/3/2005 10:28:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Diwri@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I think  that you don't neeeeeed a passport until 2007?
or was it  2006??

Well.. whichever... it's along way from the next several  days!

As of now, the requirement for needing a passport will be in January of
2006.  It helps to have one now.  It's not getting INTO Canada that is  the
problem, it's getting BACK OUT.  The US wants to make sure you belong  here.
  I got mine this past summer.  It took 6 weeks and is good for  10 years.
Since I go up to the 1000 Islands on a semi regular basis, it is  easy enough
to get in and out of Canada, just rules they adhere to.   Canadians are very
strict about checking in when you get there, especially by  boat(which was the
mode I used most often, especially around the islands)   Driving through the
border by car versus boat,takes longer without one but no  real hassle and
getting back into the states takes a lot of scrutiny,  especially since there
is a
lot of traffic going back and forth up there.
  So, no, technically, you don't NEED one now.

Chris K

"Do Right and  Fear No One" --from the Stephanitz Family  Crest