[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: CRITIQUES

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Janandmort@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 16:45:20 -0800 (PST)

That was glorious!!!!!
  sheila, of miami, lieberman
Janandmort@xxxxxxx wrote:
  I have read with great interest the various posts regarding critiques and
find merit in all comments.
I rarely post but feel I should on this subject.
I have been giving written critiques on every show, if asked to do so, and
always dictate my evaluation of every animal.
We all go to dog shows from many reasons and it is my opinion that a dog
show should, among many other things, be educational.

I realize that time is a factor-but if the Judge is knowledgeable this can
be done very quickly.
When a Judge gives their critique it is that person's opinion- agree or
disagree - and it is not personal and should be viewed as constructive
information not negative.
I was asked by a Judge after I completed my Judging at the Canadian
National how was I able to call the placing's as I did. I assume he meant how
was I
able to do this without comparative gaiting. It is very simple-do the
individual Judging in standing and in motion and then write that animals place
on
your list based on your comparison of that individual to the Standard. These
were my critiques dictated and written.
Each animal should be judged against the Standard - not against one another.
There are always changes after the placing's when extended motion is
evaluated, but hopefully not many. The Judge should have to justify the why of
their placing's not just that I "like" this dog better than the other and
therefore my belief that critiques will improve our judging and improve our
Breed.
Perhaps we would see more younger people and new faces at our shows if
explanations were given as to the reasons of the Judge"s decisions
Morton Goldfarb

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original