[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: CRITIQUES

  • From: Susan Madlung <stormygsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Janandmort@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 10:46:21 -0800

Agreed, dogs SHOULD be judged against the Standard.. but that is not a
system in place in North America.. dogs are judged against each other and
winners selected whom the judge determines are the closest to the standard
from the dogs being exhibited that day, regardless if the winner meets the
standard or not.. there is a difference..

We have all been to shows when a class does not hold an exhibit that is
resemblant of the standard.. how many judges actually withhold a placing?
not enough, in my estimation. We have all seen dogs win that are no closer
to the standard than that goat Jim Moses could win with <grin> yet they win
just the same.. based on the judges' comparison of one dog to another - I
swear, sometimes I am sure the standard is the furthest thing from the
judges' mind..

My understanding of shows in Great Britain is that the dogs are judged
against the standard and there is more than one "winner". Their system
dictates a certain number of certificates required to become a Ch and there
can be more than 1 certificate awarded at any given show i.e certificates
are not awarded based on who is the best that day but which dogs are closest
to the standard..
a subtle difference, but a difference none the less..
JMHO
Sue Madlung - Shadowacre Reg'd German Shepherds
http://www.shadowacre.com