[ SHOWGSD-L ] CA:Town Hall Meeting LAAS 9-22-10

  • From: "Ginger Cleary" <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'showgsd L list'" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 14:29:27 -0400

Thanks Marion for the update. the new head of LAAS certainly is an
improvement!

Ginger Cleary, Rome, GA

 <http://craftyk9-gingerc.blogspot.com/> My Blog

Men fight for freedom, then they begin to accumulate laws to take it away
from themselves.  ~Author Unknown

Sent on behalf of Marion Bradshaw.

Permission to crosspost

People were in a long line up on the outside sidewalk when we arrived at
6:15.

The room held approximately 60 chairs and people were standing
shoulder-to-shoulder, sitting on tabletops, and overflow was scrunched in
the doorways to adjoining room.

Brenda Barnette came in and exhorted people to cozy in allowing for more
people to get inside in order to hear.  "We're all really one big family
here so we can get nice and cozy for this meeting."

She has a dazzling smile, and a quick wit, and her demeanor exudes complete
control, a light handed manner, and respectful approach -- very democratic
about how having these meetings will allow us in Los Angeles to bring
positive changes to help animals.  She introduced Councilman Bill Rosenthal
who was the person to thank for presenting the limit increase for
consideration to the City Council (proposed ordinance 10-0982 to increase
pet limits in the City of Los Angeles to 5 dogs and 5 cats from the current
3).  His remarks had to engage -- personal stories relating his philosophy
of dogs, and his love and background with dogs.  He remarked about the
closure of his favorite beach for running his dog, and that dog parks should
be in every area of the city.  He complimented Brenda Barnette and talked
about how she answered questions during the selection process indicating
that shelters needed to get dogs adopted and stop killing dogs and cats.  He
said he didn't like the term euthanasia because what is happening is killing
animals.

As I became engrossed in the arguments for and against the limit increase, I
lost count but I think that it was 8 against, 36 in favor.  A huge number of
rescue individuals and leaders representing rescue groups spoke.  Most
talked about responsible ownership.  A few talked and skirted issues with
hoarding, several included being over limits.  Some were very funny with the
irony of their comments, several addressed their remarks to Phyllis
Daugherty/Animal Issues Movement, and pointedly agreed to disagree with her
very negative and emotionally sensational remarks about hordes of roaming
dogs in her neighborhood, and her certain prediction of complete filth,
barking, disease, packs of vicious dogs if the limits are increased.  I
don't think anyone in the room could have been taken in by the ghastly
specter of events she envisions. Ms. Barnette pointed out during the meeting
that these issues could all be addressed using existing enforcement tools.

There were some thoughtful comments outside the range of the positive things
we would all expect.  One man had recently moved and with difficulty
eventually found an apartment that would take him and his two large dogs.
For the most part, the limit increase won't affect apartment dwellers
because those owners can set their own limits or refuse to allow pets.
Apartment owners might help the shelter burdens if there was some kind of
incentive for allowing more pets, but he didn't articulate what that
incentive might be.

I particularly liked the humor of one person, "The government can't tell me
how many cars to own; nor tell me how many children I can have; but they can
tell me how many dogs and cats I can own?"  The audience roared with
approval at the irony.

With the late hour and with almost 2 solid hours of 3-minute verbal
opinions, the crowd was thinning.

Again and again individuals applauded the idea of increased limits --
increasing the limits by 2 more dogs wouldn't turn someone who just rescued
and loved animals into a hoarder.

Brenda Barnette showed strong leadership to keep rude or disruptive behavior
curtailed.  She interjected comments about reporting inhumane animal
treatment or hoarding, and told the general audience to call in neglect or
hoarding cases for inspection.  She indicated that these two meetings
hopefully were the first of many to bring about "non-lethal means" of
solving problems in Los Angeles.  She thanked people for coming and was
optimistic about the future.

I followed Phyllis Daugherty's diatribe. At first I thought what an
unfortunate position to be in knowing I would be identifying myself aligned
with "the breeders," the dirty breeders.

Actually, Ms. Daugherty was so outlandish and out of touch with the
sentiments of most of the people in the room that it may have played in my
favor.  I introduced myself and indicated our 4-generation business, Jack
Bradshaw Dog Show Superintendents, was putting on AKC dog shows and
obedience trials. I went on to thank all the rescue people, and hopefully
made a convincing statement about AKC show people and UKC show people always
being willing to take back any animals of their breeding who for some reason
couldn't stay with the owners.  I said that each of the breed clubs had
rescue people to pick up from shelters any purebred dogs who might get into
a shelter.  And because we had been involved with the AKC and the purebred
dog community for so many years, I am willing to work in any way that LAAS
feels our services and contacts might be helpful in Los Angeles.  Other show
dog people did identify themselves and gave anecdotal comments that for the
most part ranged over their affiliations with rescue, conformation,
performance events, and therapy work.  Peri Norman identified herself as
Treasurer of CaRPOC and extended a sincere commitment to work with the
rescue people.  Cathie Turner/CDOC talked about limits bringing
underreported potential licensing revenues to Los Angeles.

Brenda Barnette appears to be very approachable, and she was chatting with a
large crowd of people after the meeting.  We caught eyes and I moved to
where I could hand her my card and repeat the offer of help -- that we have
dog shows in the area and would love having her visit one of the local
shows.  She jumped right in with her experiences with the Seattle KC and
rescue work in Seattle.  Specifically she said the first group to offer help
in her rescue position in Seattle came from a Pit Bull club that donated
thousands of chips or S/N because they were dealing with up to 30% pit bulls
in the shelter.  I commented to Brenda that 30% seemed almost
incomprehensible a percentage to me.  Did she know what it is in Los Angeles
currently?  She answered way MORE than that percentage in Los Angeles.  I
asked if she was aware of the Riverside County and City of Riverside
licensing issues and problems.  She answered obliquely, so she does have
some awareness, although no names or issues were mentioned.  She pocketed my
CaRPOC card with my home email.

I will be sending her a brief follow-up letter outlining my offers.  The
envelope will include a List of Upcoming Shows and judging programs
available, and all the premium lists for those shows.

Marion Bradshaw

CaRPOC/California Responsible Pet Owners' Coalition