[ SHOWGSD-L ] CA...Stray Dogs "I was rescued from Tijuana streets" with Distemper

  • From: stormy435 <stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 18:28:55 -0700

Thanks, Melissa, for the alert!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.fox5sandiego.com/pages/landing_latest_news/?Deadly-Dog-Disease=1&blockID&8434&feedID!45

Deadly Dog Disease

By Jacqui Nguyen, Fox 5 News

April 17, 2009

  A warning tonight for dog owners in Coronado. Be on the lookout for abandoned
dogs in the city. Since February, the Coronado Animal Facility has received 3
stray dogs that were infected with "canine distemper".

  Coronado Police say two of the three abandoned dogs had blue tags attached to
the collar that reads "I was rescued from Tijuana streets. I'd like to find a
home," Coronado Police Commander Mike Lawton says.

  Puppies are most at risk. Veterinarians strongly recommend dog owners to get
their puppies vaccinated with the proper shots starting at around 6 weeks old.

  Symptoms of the viral infection include nasal discharge, vomitting and
lethargy. It's contagious and fatal. Exposure to the healthy dog is from the
saliva of the infected dog. Dogs, foxes and coyotes are susceptible to the
viral infection.

  "As it progresses, it will attack the central nervous system," Veterinarian
Elizabeth Stone says.

  Coranado resident Jim Treadwell says he read about the disease in the
newspaper.

  "I was nervious and started looking for rogue, renegade dogs," Jim Treadwell
says.

  The three dogs were found abandoned at Star Park near the Hotel del Coronado
in the past 6 weeks. Police want to make sure if you find an abandoned canine,
contact the Coronado Animal Services.

  Two of the three dogs were euthanized. Both were mixed German Shepherd
puppies. A third dog, an adult mixed Labrador has severed medical problems
including a tumor on its hind leg. This dog has been taken to Noah's Ark, an
animal rescue shelter in San Ysidro.
--
Stormy Hope
www.carpoc.org