[ SHOWGSD-L ] CA<>Santa Barbara - County adopts spay-neuter ordinance

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Show GSD List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 08:13:05 -0800

http://www.thedailysound.com/News/111109NeuterSpay
County adopts spay-neuter ordinance

By COLBY FRAZIER ? Nov. 11, 2009
One of the most divisive, and sensitive, topics to go before the Santa
Barbara County Board of Supervisors in months concluded yesterday with
the adoption of an ordinance that requires most cats and dogs to be
spayed or neutered.

The ordinance stops short of being an across-the-board mandate on pet
birth control by allowing pet owners opposed to forfeiting their
animal?s reproductive ability to purchase a $10 ?unaltered animal
license.?

County officials say the ordinance will help reduce the overpopulation
of unwanted dogs and cats, and in turn, cut the number of animals
clogging shelters, many of which are euthanized.

During the last fiscal year, 1,121 of the 4,722 dogs taken into county
shelters were euthanized, while 1,019 of 3,582 cats were killed.

Susan Klein-Rothschild, a public information officer for the county?s
Public Health Department, said the new ordinance, which will be
accompanied by a beefed up education and outreach program, will also
help reduce costs at animal shelters.

While the ordinance received wide praise from many animal lovers, who
showed up in droves to address the Board during a three-hour hearing
on Nov. 3, and again yesterday, others believe the ordinance unfairly
punishes responsible pet owners.

Fifth District Supervisor Joe Centeno, the Board chair, rarely
delivers fiery sermons from behind the dais, but when it came to
neutering and spaying, the usually soft-spoken man opened up.

?There have been very, very few things that I?ve had the chance to
weigh in on as a board member that even compares to this,? he said. ?I
feel really, really bad that we?re going down this path because I
don?t think that we?re ever going to get the solution we want to this
issue with this ordinance.?...