[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: CA Fires

  • From: "Paula M. Cooke" <pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 14:06:50 GMT

I was at JR's yesterday.  We planned to leave about 11:00 am for the Lompoc
shows.  Sitting on his back porch, we watched the flames on the hills
overlooking his property.  The planes were diligently flying and dumping over
that hill covered with many communications towers.  If one must have
fire-vulnerable property, apparently it is good to have it near where resources
are centered on saving such things as communications towers.  We started to
leave a few times, but the flames would burst up again, and the winds kept
shifting.  I have never been so near to wildfires before.  On the news, they
are calling this the Crown Fire and keep showing those communications towers.
We finally left around 3:00, when we saw no more smoke.  JR's box truck is
loaded up with every crate he owns, except for the three we have with us.  His
kennel help can pack up and evacuate all the dogs should it become necessary,
and we can get back there in less than 3 hours.  I don't know Rosemary and Bill
and have heard nothing about them.  But, rest assured, JR, his family, all the
dogs, and his home, are all fine.

Showtime!!

Paula, 72 days and counting

Home of Best in Show, Best in Specialty Show, Multi-Group Winning, GSDCA Dual
Title Award Recipient, AKC JAM/AOE, International and American Champion, Grand
Champion Asgard Harley Davidson v Plamark, HT, PT, CGC, TC, HIC, OFA CHIC
#64047 (Hips, Elbows, Cardiac, & Thyroid), DNA tested clear of the long-coat
factor.  #1 Male German Shepherd Dog in the Country, #4 German Shepherd Dog in
the Country, as of 6/30/10 (Canine Chronicles)    First male German Shepherd
Dog Grand Champion.