[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Buy from a breeder (long)

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: fmurch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:56:20 EDT

In a message dated 9/13/2006 10:34:22 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
fmurch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Also,  Kathy, I guess you would never sell me a dog. Both Frank and I work
full time  and I have raised a litter while working,

No, I didn't say that.  Re read what I said;

"I have no idea how someone with a 9-5 job and a family to raise fits in  vet
trips, progesterone timing trips, is available to watch the bitch so that
she doesn't whelp alone, feeds puppies 3-4x a day, socializes/grooms/cares for
babies, etc. "

It's a lot of work is what I was implying.  I don't see me in  particular
breeding a litter to produce companion puppies exclusively due to the  time
commitment.  I know my world is up-side-down and I have the luxury  (and I
don't
say that lightly, I know it's a luxury!)  of being able to  make my own hours
and to put off business appointments as a due date approaches  and/or on days I
have to schedule vet stuff.

(I've often wondered  the same about showing; again, I have the luxury  of
arranging  my schedule a day or two before shows for running  errands, get the
van washed, bathe dogs, load van etc., while most  folks are at their 9-5 job
and then may have family/children  with THEIR activities to coordinate/schedule
on top of all of it!!!!!   That doesn't mean they can't do it; obviously some
do and my hat goes off to  them because to me, it seems overwhelming!)

You write "I think when screening for homes that you have to judge the
individual and there previous ownership history, not if they
are home all day  as must families do not have that luxury any more."

And I agree with you.  So far, the demand for puppies has exceed the  supply
to the extent though, that I have been able to place puppies in   homes where,
at most, someone is working part time.  That's not to say  people can't be
gone 8-10 hours a day and still be  wonderful owners; I  just haven't had to go
that route.

I am queasy about the AKC having a contract with a pet store.  I said  that.
We have no argument there.  What I was addressing is the  shortage of
companion puppies, which is a parallel issue.

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_