[ SHOWGSD-L ] Brooke's Story

  • From: "The Crystal Crow" <thecrystalcrow@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 00:31:29 -0400

I got a call one afternoon in July from my contact at Richmond Animal Care &
Control, where I am a LHSH contact. They had picked up a stray GSD, and
wanted me to evaluate her. She was not thriving in the shelter, and needed a
place to go, and quickly. She was on day eight of her ten-day stray holding
period, and no owner had appeared. I went to the shelter on my lunch break,
and met the skinniest shepherd I had ever seen, absolutely covered in blown
coat that had matted together. She looked like a scrawny sheep. Her name was
Brooke, the shelter worker explained-they had picked her up at a gas station
at the conjunction of two interstates and Brook Road, approaching people and
searching the vehicles.

Brooke scrutinized my face, then peered around me, continually searching for
someone who didn't come with me. She did the same with anyone else that
passed-a quick, searching look at the face, and a desperate look around,
never finding the person she was looking for.

As starved as she was, Brooke took a treat gently. She was friendly with
other dogs, didn't startle at loud noises or sudden movement, and after she
grew used to me, gave me a sweet kiss. She was slightly agitated in the
shelter environment.

I asked about her health-the shelter vet determined that she had been spayed
at some point in her life, and she was given a basic series of shots at the
shelter. Her age was estimated at about 7, and she is HW negative. Her ears
were not fully erect-the very tips bend forward, giving her a goofy, sweet
look. When examined, she showed no signs of joint pain. Gaiting, she floats.

Of course, she came home with me to foster. The shelter was kind enough to
let me groom and bathe her there, so we took her out to the loading dock and
began. Three alternating shelter assistants and I took about an hour to
pluck, pull and brush most of the dead hair out of her. She was so thin that
I could easily pick her up and place her gently in the stainless steel tub.
She thoroughly enjoyed her bath, and was loaded with fleas. Then it was
finally time to leave the shelter.

Brooke jumped in the van like an old hand, and rode like a champ, interested
in everything outside the windows-still searching for the people that were
not there. Reaching the house, we made introductions-Max on the front lawn,
and Terra in the backyard. After a short amount of grousing by Max and
Terra, everyone filed into the house, and Brooke crashed out, totally
exhausted, on the rug.

For about a week, she still searched every new face, and stared at every
passing vehicle, still searching for the people that never came, would never
come.

What a sweet girl she is! She follows us around, and is always interested in
what we are doing. She loved to play with toys, which puts her at odds with
Terra, who thinks she personally owns every toy in the house. There have
been some interesting games of tug, and Brooke is never too rough with
15-pound Terra. Brooke has even gotten 11-year-old Max to play with her.

After a week, Brooke had gained some weight, but not much. She had an odd
way of eating-she would take a huge bite, and then toss her head back to
swallow it. She seemed to be a picky eater, which I couldn't understand,
since she was SO thin. Then her face swelled up, and I took her to my vet
for an exam and a rabies shot. They found that she had two rotten molars,
all the way in the back. The estimate for the removal was $440, and I didn't
have the cash. Members of the LHSH Yahoo Group, plus my Mom (hooray, MOM!)
stepped up and donated for her surgery and exam fees-what a fantastic group
of people-you are all Brooke's angels.

I have never had a dog with bad teeth before-I'll never miss the signs
again.

Brooke's bones are no longer showing, and she is eating normally. She is an
absolute doll baby-sweet and loving. She is the perfect house
dog-housetrained, crate-trained, knows basic commands (sit, down, come), is
an easy bather, is perfectly still when having her nails trimmed, gets along
with kids, adults and dogs both large and small (but not cats).

Brooke is looking for her forever home. Could it be one of you, or one of
your friends? She is playful, full of joy, and so very deserving.

Thanks,

Kristal Crow

804-515-8782

--