[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Broken teeth

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: ducksavsfan@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 21:49:56 EDT

In a message dated 5/13/2007 9:12:22 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ducksavsfan@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Of  what's left of the teeth, one is broken in half all the way to the base
of the  root and the other is broken down to the root.  I asked about a root
canal or crown, but the vet said beyond the expense, the science isn't
perfected with dogs and probably wouldn't help.

Hmmmmmmm......it's been over 10 years now and I had a root canal done on an
old man who broke a canine, so YES the science certainly has been perfected
for  quite some time.  (Shame on your vet for not knowing!)

Was it worth the recovery (hard on the dog) and the expense?  Probably  not.
At the time, I was made to feel like a bad mom though and got talked  into it.

Dogs' teeth have a tendency to more or less seal over (think of how we file
horses' teeth), and as long as you check routinely during healing for an
abscess  developing from infection in the pulp, in which case you absolutely
WOULD
have  to have the tooth removed, I'd leave it alone.  I have an oldish gal
here  now who chipped two teeth years ago playing with a hard (very!) plastic
ball and  another who chipped a canine trying to get out of a pen...come to
think
of it  another gal I co-own has a chipped tooth and one I leased has a broken
canine  (again from arguing with a pen!), and none of them has ever had a day
of  trouble.

Now, if they were removed, would I show her...no.  I don't think  you'll get
most judges to read a vet's statement....sorry.

I'd give it a few days and see how your gal handles it.  If the teeth  don't
bother her and there's no sign of infection, leave well enough  alone.  You
can always have them removed, but waiting a bit won't hurt  anything. Good
luck:)

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds