[ SHOWGSD-L ] Brillance

  • From: "Helen Franklin" <helen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 20:34:43 -0700

David's words are shear brillance.  Please take the time to read his post, a
few times.
I know for sure, that "Fritsche" will be the only name I NEVER delete.
Thank you Dave for your always insightful and meanful posts.  The breed needs
you!
Helen
David writes:
Years ago, when we first started the show circuit, we met an elderly couple,
now going to shows in heaven, who I could not quite figure out. We'd talk at
the shows and they'd tell me who was going to win and how it was set up and
what were the relationships that guaranteed the win. Then following the
show, they'd huff and puff about the set up and the crooked judges and run
off to their car and speed of for home. They were dear likable people, but
they were convinced that it was all political and all dishonest.

There were two problems with their theory.....
1. The person they pegged to win, seldom did - someone else did - sometimes
me, who at that point knew no one.
2. They kept coming back.

I perceived that, beneath their critical facade was a glimmer of hope that
they were wrong and that they could win. And they did from time to time. Why
then were they critical of the sport???

It could have simply been fear, and some form of protecting themselves from
the probability of loss, I suppose....
It could have been in retaliation to the social isolation they suffered
because they also bad mouthed OFA and would not OFA their dog, hence the
fancy did little business with them.
It could have been.... I don't know.....

For each person there is a reason we exhibit, a way in which we perceive the
sport, a place in the group for us to be socially accepted or rejected, a
personal perspective of the reality that attends the shows. I cannot judge
which exhibitors are socially or psychologically damaged and need to be
defensive or which simply have greater insight than I do into the inner
workings of the sub-cult of dog shows. Maybe it is this mix of perceptions,
personalities and interactions that keeps me coming to the shows - they are
not dull - not by a long shot!

SO, tell me why it is that I go to the same dog shows, watch the same
judging as many of you and come away having had a great time, enjoyed the
friendships, rejoiced with others (this week end with Paul and Tracy and
others), and thought things went well. Is it because I am less objective,
less intelligent and less perceptive?

OR..... Is my reaction to the shows more a meter of what is going on in me
than it is what is going on at the shows???
I wonder......
Dave