[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Breeds

  • From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:04:07 -0800 (PST)

A breed is only a breed because someone thought it should be. The black russian
terrier, for example, is a newly created breed because the Russians thought
they wanted a specific dog for a specific job. Set up a plan, followed it, had
a breed that bred fairly true in short order.
If they were to come up with a standard for "doodles", start a stud book, keep
breeding to select for specific traits, they would have a breed in a relatively
short time. Of course, first they would have to agree on what this "doodle"'s
standard should be. The Russians did it quickly because they agreed on the
goal. Here we would have endless fights about my dog being right while yours
isn't.

Other than having a group of people supporting a specific select gene pool, and
by limiting it to a specific pheno/geno type, making the resulting breedings
fairly predictable, there is little difference between a mixed breed and a
purebred. I happen to like knowing what I am going to get. But I will say that
some of the best dogs I have ever worked with have been mixes who happened to
be the right dog in the right place.
Ruth