[ SHOWGSD-L ] Breeding two BLACK GSDs

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 09:29:36 -0700 (PDT)

....... I received two more private e-mails from folks believing that a black
sire and a black dam can produce a black and tan puppy...I invited both folks
to call me on the phone to discuss the matter, so far neither have done
so....so I will explain it here publicly...each parent contributes one of two
genes to all of its offspring.....since the color black is recessive a black
dog must have two black genes for coat color, receiving one from each
parent....the only gene this black dog can pass to all of its offspring is a
black gene...so if bred to another black dog, all genes passed from that dog
are only black genes....I can explain this much better on the phone...Ed Hill