[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Breeding stock?

  • From: Paige McLaughlin <jimchyn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:26:21 -0700 (PDT)

I think that over the years the term "breeding stock" has taken on a new
meaning. What once ment "the stock which it to be bred (which should be
superior to others)" now means "dogs that can't cut it in the ring but we are
still going to bred them for the lines they carry". To me shows are for looking
for breeding stock. Will someone please tell me that every animal they have
seen put up, even for Select or GV/ GVx was something they felt should be aloud
to create the future of our breed by being bred? If you do, I'll bet you are
lying. I have never heard anyone say they liked every Select, every WD/B, every
GV/GVx that was ever put up. I think that a lot of people have desided that the
dogs that go in the ring are not really breeding stock but show stock, which is
not to be bred but just watched (at least if it is not their dogs, and this
only being an uncontouse thought). No dog should be bred if it does not
represent the standard. And I see a lot that win that don't.

Helen Franklin <helen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What is breeding stock? Other than a superior long coated bitch that can be
bred to a dog that doesn't carry the coat factor, I don't know what "breeding
stock" is. I say this because the better the dogs, the better the litter in
almost all cases. Why do we buy progeny from top breedings, because we want a
copy of the parents. I would so much rather breed a Select Champion bitch then
one considered breeding stock. Our best show dogs ARE OUR BREEDING STOCK. Why
else would AKC say they cannot be neutered? Unfortunately, many don't have top
animals to breed but once again, if you can get a dog with several top
littermates that may be all you need. Dogs from a 4 or 5 champion litter carry
the genotype to produce. Anyway, though this may be unpopular with some....show
stock is breeding stock.
Helen Franklin
POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original

Paige McLaughlin
McLin German Shepherds
www.geocities.com/jimchyn

http://mail.yahoo.com