[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Breeding question

  • From: "Ruth Hartridge" <rhartrid@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ducksavsfan@xxxxxxxxx>, "GSD" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 11:31:51 -0400

Christina.Listen to what Doris says . WE who have "been in this thing for
years "  I have had the GSDs for at least 25 years now and I KNow what I am
doing too!  I have eople who years ago bought one from me, and are looking
for another , and a Lot of times I don't! SO I wil refer them to anyone near
that I know is Reputable , ADN there are some I won't !
To: GSDSubject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Breeding question

Hi listers,

I have what I feel is a dilemma.  My bitch is blowing coat, which of course
signals her heat cycle is around the corner.  I'm a newbie and this would be
my kennel's first litter as well as my bitch's first (if I breed and we're
successful).  However, I watch the list everyday, read the posts from Dawn
and others on dogs in rescue.  I watch Craigslist, area shelters and
rescues.  It seems to me there is a huge influx of dogs needing homes and
the number that are purebred seem staggering to me.

My dilemma and question to everyone is how do you justify adding more
lives to the world through breeding with so many dogs already needing
homes?  Obviously the number of homes is limited as it is.  I know I
personally can't seem to come up with a really good reason to justify
breeding even though I know I'm doing everything "right" and not doing it
for a profit.  I would just be interested to hear what others opinions on
the matter are.

Tina Klahn
Illusion GSDs
ducksavsfan@xxxxxxxxx