[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Breeding for Conformation vs. Breeding for Performance

  • From: Karmasreva@xxxxxxx
  • To: MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 00:46:20 EDT

I was discussing a  student's dog with her a short while back. I told her
that I like many things  about him, but I would like more drive/desire in him.
She agreed, and then made  the statement that most Pems could use more. She
then
added, well, the "horse  Corgis" have plenty of drive, but they aren't bred
well. I replied to her, if  your dogs aren't being bred for working drive, then
by the Standard THEY aren't  well bred. Accepting lack of drive, is just as
bad as accepting lack of  type.

    I very much agree with Janice Buchanan's  observations. I would add, the
Standard is the blue print for breeding a good  looking working dog. The
problem comes in when we as breeders stop looking at  the whole Standard and
fixate
on the parts we like/don't like. As soon as we  stop striving for the balance
of the Standard, we split off into the different  subsections.

    I do have to take exception to the comment made  that...very few
performance people( as in, none) will go to GSD specialty  lines..." to breed
for
performance....

        I have bred exclusively  from American specialty lines, and been very
happy with the results....and quite  successful as well. Any lack of success
can be directly related to my poor  efforts, not my dogs.

Kelly Malone
Karma Performance
Home of 5x HIT Karma's Reva CD,RE,HSAD,HTAD III,HXAS, Morgan PT, Drummer  JHD