[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Breeding colors & MORE.....

  • From: edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 22:02:12 +0000 (UTC)

Carolyn, I had a dog that got his tooth caught on a bucket,and  tried to save
it a few years ago, so  I went to high priced dog dentist, Dr Comery. He was at
Cornell for years and came back to Michigan. Anyhow he told me that missing
teeth need to be carried by both and each tooth is a separate gene, so to get a
#2 missing premolar, both parents have to carry the gene for that a missing #2
premolar. So in reality missing teeth should be pretty hard to get.
Ann
www.edangsd.com
  From: Edwin Hill To: freelist Sent: Friday, July 10, 2009 9:29 AMSubject: [
SHOWGSD-L ] Breeding two BLACK GSDs

  ....... I received two more private e-mails from folks believing that a black
sire and a black dam can produce a black and tan puppy...I invited both folks
to call me on the phone to discuss the matter, so far neither have done
so....so I will explain it here publicly...each parent contributes one of two
genes to all of its offspring.....since the color black is recessive a black
dog must have two black genes for coat color, receiving one from each
parent....the only gene this black dog can pass to all of its offspring is a
black gene...so if bred to another black dog, all genes passed from that dog
are only black genes....I can explain this much better on the phone...Ed Hill

Ann
www.edangsd.com
Home of Sel Ex Champions Maxwell and Gilley, #1 dam Muggles, Breeder-owner 0f
70 champions and 19 ROMs.
Proud receipient of Lloyd Brackett Award