[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Breeding bitches before age 2

  • From: WyMarGSD2@xxxxxxx
  • To: willowlakegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, wernersommers@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, GrnRam415@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 17:26:04 EDT

interesting thread.  got me out of lurking lol

breeding a teenager (18 months old,) versus breeding every season til 10,
one has nothing to do with the other, IMO.  a dog is considered by some to  be
"puppy" til 2, right? so what is 1 1/2 yrs considered?  yeah an honest  heart
knows their "stuff" what is the reason to breed a dog prior to 2 where it
cant wait until 6 months later?  just totally out of curiosity what is the
benefit to breeding the female prior to getting a OFA rating (for those that
swear on OFA i for one do not), however, at least we have the "a" stamp program

for over 12 months.

like everything else we do as breeders its a personal choice, what we feed,
how we train, if we breed without titling, if we breed without hips and
elbows... its none of anyones business actually :)  however, we are all
supposed
to be in this together, being honest out there to each other with  health and
character issues.

i have never done it.... thought about it, but didn't have the nerve as i
lost a very young dog once and would like to make sure my dogs live old enough
to know what health issues are going on  :)

i have two littermates that are almost at their next title and technically
we who follow the SV way, we are not supposed to breed those dogs  until their
titled, but due to the fact i spent THOUSANDS on a female who had  repro
issues, i would like to breed them before i continue going through the  high
expense of the schutzhund titles to make sure they can  conceive :)   so shoot
me...
i am may be no better than someone  who breeds prior to 2 yrs old..

i am not crazy about the idea because unless you are out there working your
dog in a field that really proves sound temperament for breeding animals...
under 2 we dont see them going through "maturity" follow me?  some females  get
funky after their first heat season, some get nasty as they mature and
that's genetics, so maturity is when... some might ask...  depends on the  dog.

i guess i would wait for my own reasons, but wouldn't judge someone and  hang
em for doing it  :)

Oh and for the breeding every heat season tl 10  i dont think you can  do
that, can you?   SV we can only have 8 litters with a female   :)    not sure
if
AKC regulates here.

Dawnmarie

In a message dated 9/10/2008 1:19:59 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
willowlakegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Werner  which is worse....18 months or breed every season till then 10 ?????
 Many do this  and think nothing of it...

In a message dated 9/9/2008 6:59:01 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
dan-ann@xxxxxxxx writes:

I've  bred a couple bitches at 18 months - had great success.  They were big
mature girls.  Actually easier then breeding older bitches for the  first
time.  Think you have to know your  animal.
Sally

From:  "Gail BAUMAN" <gailbauman1@xxxxxxx>