[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Breeding Question

  • From: BJBuie@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:05:52 EST

I am sure that my experience with my own "Traci" 5 years ago is one of the
examples Terry sited.  I spayed her and placed her in a pet home.  In other
instances where a bitch has done this, the owners have euthanized the bitch.
Traci was a Delta Society Therapy Dog, had her GSDCA TC, her HIC, working on
her
CD, 3 years old, loved all the neighborhood kids, loved Nursing home visits,
the absolute best temperament in the world, yet she showed no interest in her
puppies as they were being born, just pooped them out on the ground and let my
daughter and I take care of them.  There were 8 total.  We managed to keep her
in the litter box to nurse them three times over about 6 hours after she
completed whelping.  The third time they nursed she let them without us making
her
stay in a down and we thought we were home free.  We had been up all night and
my daughter had worked all day before so she went home to catch a nap and I
left the kitchen for 10 minutes to go to the bathroom and when I went back to
the kitchen it was a slaughter house.  All 8 of the babies dead, most
eviscerated, some with head injuries.  Traci sat at the kitchen gate wagging
her tail
at me.  She didn't have a clue that these were her babies that she should be
taking care of, they were simply bothersome parasites that she needed to
dispose
of in her mind.
This had never happened to me in my 10 years of breeding in the 1970s and I
had heard of a couple of other cases one where the bitch was immediately
euthanized by her upset and disgusted owners and one where the bitch's life was
saved because Scootie persuaded the owners to save a good temperamented bitch,
spay her and place her.

It was a big loss to take this bitch out of the breeding program as she had a
great pedigree and was from the last litter of her great sire.

I would never breed a bitch a second time who did this.  I know she may have
come to her new owners under circumstances that were not ideal, however, her
instinct should have been to care for her babies first.

Just my opinion,

Betty Johnson
Tintagel

The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the
Grammy Awards. Go to AOL Music.