[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Breeding

  • From: "Chris S. Kimerer" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "tanbarkgsd@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 14:34:17 -0700

What a great post Nancy!

I've not been around as long as some  :), BUT, being a student of the breed,
have read and listened and learned so much over the years!  From what I've read
and been told, "in the glory days" as some call it, Lloyd Brackett was one of
several kennels that bred many litters to see who produced which traits,
desirable and un-desirable.  In today's world, that is just not a doable
situation any longer.  The good thing is that he left us with his findings and
Theory regarding line breedings and certain traits being carried down a certain
way, and in my opinion, it does still apply today.

I also believe History is a teacher, AND, should be considered for the future.
To only let it serve as a historical record is not wise, because history does
have a way of repeating itself, the good and the bad.  There are some things
that I don't want sneaking up on me again, such as the off colors, whether it
be white, blue or liver.  It's been years since I've had a blue, have never had
a liver nor a white, and I like it that way.There are still enough unknown
variables to breeding that I purposely would not want to add to them.

Education is a very important component, having mentors has been my greatest
influence in learning this awesome breed.  It is an ongoing education, in the
ring, in the whelping box, in life in general, and hopefully I will get to
learn many more things to come.

 Chris
Chris S. Kimerer
Hillside-Tanbark Kennels     http://www.tanbarkgsd.com/