[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Breeders do sell their good ones

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 15:15:35 -0400

Yes, breeders do sell their good ones.  Sometimes, they even sell their good
ones to a newbie...

After 45+ years of owning GSD's, I decided to try the show thing.   I wanted a
male -- just to get my feet wet in showing.  Plus, I wasn't sure if I wanted to
breed at the time.   The first show prospect I bought was a fine dog, but
developed serious health problems and died.  The second prospect I bought did
finish.

I went through h#$@ and back to buy the dog that finished...  At first, the
breeder would not agree to sell him to me, but I didn't give up.  I wanted that
dog!  I was relentless.  I called the breeder again and again trying to buy the
dog.  I knew I was making headway when the breeder began quizzing me.  Talk
about relentless...   He was relentless in his questioning.

Besides the usual questions regarding my experience and how the dog was to be
kept, I was grilled regarding my knowledge of pedigrees.  I was also asked what
I knew about showing; who was my mentor(s); who did I know in the Breed; what
breeders did I admire and why; what handlers(s) did I intend to use; did I
fully realize the expense involved in showing, etc.

Perhaps I didn't pass the "test" with flying colors, but I passed.  After weeks
of badgering the breeder, he sold me the dog outright.  I knew the dog was a
good prospect when the late Tom Castriota asked if he could condition and train
the dog for the National.

Along the way, I made some mistakes in managing the dog's show career, but the
dog finished.  And, I learned from those mistakes.

I am eternally grateful to Dennis Mulligan, of Eagle Valley GSD's, for
entrusting a newbie with a good one.  Dennis showed good faith in me and there
was no way I was going to let him down by not finishing the dog.

A little advice to newbies...   Do your homework BEFORE buying a show prospect.
 Don't buy a good dog unless you're sure you have the means to finish the dog.
And, most of all, don't EVER make a promise to a breeder unless you are pretty
darn sure you can live up to that promise.

Thanks for letting me share my experience of buying my first show dog.  Sorry
for blabbering on for so long.

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Wellborn-Allemande German Shepherds
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam