[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Breeder's Code/ofa?

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: silvermoongsds@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 15:13:24 EDT

In a message dated 7/13/2007 2:31:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
silvermoongsds@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Why when  OFA is so important would anyone want to breed to a dog who isn't?
My breeder  made that mistake and now I have a dog who is major pointed that I
can't  finish because his elbow gave out before we could get that last major.
If I  known the stud wasn't OFA'd I would have never let my female be leased
to  breed to him.

I would, in a heartbeat.

I'm more worried about epilepsy, DM, EPI, bloat/torsion, severe allergies
and immune issues up close in a pedigree than a little flat spot in a hip  that
won't pass or a DJD1 elbow that won't get a number.  Now, would I  breed a dog
w/ UAP?  No.  Besides, you really don't know if the "bad"  came from  the
(stud) dog, could be the bitch was partly responsible  too.  Could be you breed
her to a different dog and get something  else.  Who knows?

Don't get me wrong, in a perfect world, I'd want a pedigree free of
everything "bad"...I haven't found that yet.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds