[ SHOWGSD-L ] Breeder's Code

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 18:22:50 EDT

In a message dated 8/3/2007 9:01:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
osmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
It is a  well known fact that those breed clubs that have adopted a
>>  strong
>> Code for both membership and breeders code have not become  "elitists "
>> but
>> to the contrary,  they have seen  their breed grow, and thrive and they
>> have
>> increased  their membership with responsible people.

Could we have some facts?   I don't believe us having a weak  breeder's code
has caused a decline in entries.  I understand the fastest  growing breed is
labs. What kind of change did they make to their code to cause  the popularity
of the breed?

We have been in the top five of the most popular breeds for years.  It  has
to do with the quality of the dogs, not the popularity of a code, or the
people who do or don't sign a code. Make it too restrictive and no one will
sign
it. Make is short and more people will sign it. Either way, it won't change or
modify the ethics of the people doing the breedings.

It is time to stop blaming ethics on the rules, and put the blame where is
belongs, on the people who are doing the breedings.  No contract is going  to
change that, unless you want to sue them to enforce  it.