[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Breeders

  • From: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "freelist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 19:56:14 +0000

I've stayed completely out of this until I saw this post.  I have a slightly
different take on this.........  Buying a "superstar" is risky at best.
HOWEVER, when you don't have the experience in a given breed to recognize a
superstar what do you do??  There are folks out there who are always willing to
attack the 'big time' breeders and tear their puppies apart.  So, after buying
a pup and receiving such a reception from others in your local club, do you
keep the pup after such an evaluation??  Show it??  Return it??
Several years ago I sold a male to someone who wanted a finishable dog.  After
several months they contacted me and advised they were placing him in a pet
home because he 'didn't turn out."  Apparently they'd asked 'other folks" what
they thought of the puppy and got responses they didn't like.  [I don't
know....maybe someone who had "just the dog" for them??!]   They insisted they
had a good home for the boy.  I insisted they return him per our contract.
Within months, and under 2 years of age, he hit the ring and won 13 points/one
major in 4 weekends of shows.  While it took a couple of months to find the
other major, this dog finished in record time.   Now, was he a finishable dog??
 LOL  I was certainly glad to get him back!!

As a breeder I have a better understanding of what my lines produce.  I am
careful to give my opinion when asked.  However, someone who has a mentor
should purchase from that mentor until tehy are ready to evaluate their own
animals and select a dog on their own.  If you come to me for a puppy I don't
expect you to run to a competitor to ask their opinion of the dog you purchased
from me until you ask it of a judge in the ring!  And as Ralph and Mary were so
fond of saying "Records Live, Opinions Die!"  JMO.

Suzanne
www.tsalishepherds.com
Home of BIS/BISS Ch Yancy HIC HT PT RA CD TC CGC BH, Ch Flash, Ch Flair, Ch
Mousser, Tess [150 PLUS ROM points/40 ATAA points], Lil' Miss Gilli RN[Mjr Res
Winner] and all the others waiting at the bridge. Website updated 11/06