[ SHOWGSD-L ] Breeder Responsibility and Champions in Shelters

  • From: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 14:56:03 -0500

As responsible breeders, we should sell all dogs with guarantees and contracts.
And our contracts should state that we have the right of first refusal on dogs
who come unplaced. We sell our pets on spay/neuter, we guarantee for
health/temperament and we are there every step of the way for a our doggy
family.

Unfortunately, as hard as we try, we can't always dictate what people do... As
I mentioned with the dog that ended up in the HS... I would have taken him
back, but I didn't know he was there and unless owners open up and communicate,
its tough. What is responsible is that if you have a dog in an HS or rescue
that you take responsibility for that dog

And I really hate to say this, but peer pressure and holding people accountable
makes a difference. Sometimes people just need to be knocked on the side of the
head and sometimes need to know.

The best thing is that this dog has a breeder who is taking responsibility for
him, even in her tough situation. We need to be the guardians of our breeds,
but we also need to show a little compassion at times.

The hardest is when you are talking to dead-air and have someone who could care
less.. That's the hardest.

Jess M.Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)& The Shepherd Girls (Simmie, CGC,
TDI, TC, HIC & Pepper, HIC)Member of: DCA, GSDCA & GTCDC
http://www.windowslive.com/mobile/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_mobile_052008