[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Breed standard

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: ninemaplefarm@xxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 08:31:11 -0500 (EST)

I think we need to be mindful that we dont equate "work" with  "titles".
Because I am here to tell you, if you are getting your dog ready  for the
Breed ring, you bet you are working your dog.  Try showing a dog  with no
muscle tone, no endurance, and no attitude, and see how far it will  go.

From ring training, to obedience training, to physical conditioning, to
doubling (correctly, mind you), we crazy "show" people do work our dogs.

With my dogs you can add working with the BoyScouts, helping Mom stand up
when she couldn't stand up on her own (broken leg), protect the property,
therapy work.

Sheesh....I am tired just talking about it.

Oh, and yeah, we are also training for herding and rally trials.   Dexter
will have his AOE soon, and I am very proud of every single aspect that's  a
factor on that title. He worked, and worked WELL, for each of them.

So work, as you see, has many faces.

* Ileana  *
Inquest GSD's, Home of :
BISS 3x Sel EX AM CH & 2x Sel CAN CH  Karizma's Cacique of Inquest TC, aka
DEXTER
Kaleef's Expensive Date (major  pointed) aka JACKIE
and the Poodle Patrol, Bunny, Huckleberry and Doc  Holliday

In a message dated 12/10/2011 10:27:27 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ninemaplefarm@xxxxxx writes:

Hmmm..I  don't want people to walk away from reading my posts thinking I
hate  conformation.  That is So far from the truth!!  Come watch me show  in
conformation in a couple months and make a fool of myself!  I just  believe
that the GSD can do it all. As I just wrote another list member, my  fear is
that if generation after generation of dogs are never subjected to  work
than they may lose the ability to work; which would be tragic.

As  the founder of the breed said, the GSD is a working dog first and
foremost.  Ok, you don't have the time or finances to work your  dog.  But,
could one not select a mate that has shown the ability to  work?

I believe that Show Champions can work but I think the perception  is that
they can't because they don't.  In the old days, people have told  me they
would go from the conformation ring to the obedience ring; might  dabble in
ScH or herding on weekends.  Why has that changed?

Is  it because GSDs were owned and trained by their owners.  Now, the dog
show world (all breeds not just GSD) is dominated by people who write checks
 and don't want to learn the different avenues?

I see in my books  that shows in the old days were HUGE. My jaw just
dropped the first time  I saw that kind of size at a GSD Specialty show in a
book!! Seriously!!!   Where have all the GSDs gone?  Have the majority of GSDs
moved into the  performance arena and left the show ring behind? If so, why?

I know  this is a list for conformation showing.  In fact, that is
precisely the  reason I am posting here!  Let's face it, the show ring dog has
an
incredible influence on our breed.  It's the show ring breeder who is the
shaper of our breed throughout history. A Select dog will see more bitches
than an OTCH dog ever will.  It's the show ring breeder who holds the  power
of change......the ball is in their court.

Sara

> I  love the AOE concept with the GSDCA!  I look at those dogs and can
really  appreciate them as being fantastic examples of the breed!!!