[ SHOWGSD-L ] Breed standard

  • From: Sara Minsk <ninemaplefarm@xxxxxx>
  • To: ninemaplefarm@xxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 10:26:46 -0500

Hmmm..I don't want people to walk away from reading my posts thinking I hate
conformation.  That is So far from the truth!!  Come watch me show in
conformation in a couple months and make a fool of myself!
I just believe that the GSD can do it all. As I just wrote another list member,
my fear is that if generation after generation of dogs are never subjected to
work than they may lose the ability to work; which would be tragic.

As the founder of the breed said, the GSD is a working dog first and foremost.
Ok, you don't have the time or finances to work your dog.  But, could one not
select a mate that has shown the ability to work?

I believe that Show Champions can work but I think the perception is that they
can't because they don't.  In the old days, people have told me they would go
from the conformation ring to the obedience ring; might dabble in ScH or
herding on weekends.  Why has that changed?

Is it because GSDs were owned and trained by their owners.  Now, the dog show
world (all breeds not just GSD) is dominated by people who write checks and
don't want to learn the different avenues?

I see in my books that shows in the old days were HUGE. My jaw just  dropped
the first time I saw that kind of size at a GSD Specialty show in a book!!
Seriously!!!  Where have all the GSDs gone?  Have the majority of GSDs moved
into the performance arena and left the show ring behind? If so, why?

I know this is a list for conformation showing.  In fact, that is precisely the
reason I am posting here!  Let's face it, the show ring dog has an incredible
influence on our breed.  It's the show ring breeder who is the shaper of our
breed throughout history. A Select dog will see more bitches than an OTCH dog
ever will.  It's the show ring breeder who holds the power of change......the
ball is in their court.

Sara