[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Breed Standard-Objective vs Sugjective Faults???

  • From: EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx
  • To: cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 19:22:16 EDT

In a message dated 7/7/2006 5:18:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
In an  effort to keep Listers continually reading the GSD Standard, I am
asking  which faults listed in the Standard do you consider objective and
which do  you consider subjective?  This might partially answer why there  is
such a disparity in the judging you see today in the confirmation  ring.  I
do not have the answers but I think a dialog with how  different people
perceive faults might help us get a better understanding  of what goes on in
the ring.  Does this sound reasonable or am I way  off base?    D.D.

  D.D I think it's a great question. the first thing I did was to  reread the
standard. We in GSDs are fortunate to have a very detailed and  descriptive
standard. One has only to read some of the standards of the other  breeds to
realize this. The parts of our standard that I feel may lend  themselves to
subjective judging are
  1  General impression
   2 Size and proportions  [Since we do not measure in the  ring]
   3 Head [secondary sex characteristics] to a degree
   4 Temperament to a degree
All else is discribed in great detail, that doesn't mean we will see it all
the same. The black and white are easy it's the gray areas that cause the
trouble.