[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Breed Standard

  • From: carolyn mckenna <carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ninemaplefarm@xxxxxx" <ninemaplefarm@xxxxxx>, "wynsum@xxxxxxx" <wynsum@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 15:39:12 -0800 (PST)

Sara,  you just gave me valid reason to jump in here.  You asked "Wouldn't the
GSD look the same now as in the 1960's(sic) ?  We would certainly hope not !
 The goal is to constantly aim to put our breeding programs
in a path toward achieving that totality dictated by the standard.  We have not
quite arrived there yet, but we
are so very close.  No dog today actually has every point of perfection
directed by the stndard.  However,
quality today is so high it is incredible to see these dogs assembled at our
national.......so many wonderful
animals in one place over a three day period.  Our universal goal is the
betterment of the breed, and, yes,
the better the breed fits the standard, the better its function.  Most breeders
are constantly working to
perfect any deviation they recognize:  one dog may be a bit short in neck; one
long in metatarsis; another
short on leg, etc.  The goal is to have our dogs conform to the standard in
EVERY aspect, no exceptions.
Most breeds are hundreds of years old, ours just a little over one hundred.  We
have come a long way
indeed in those little-over-a-hundred.  I strongly advise you to somehow get
your hands on the book by
Max v. Stephanitz, founder of the breed.  You will see in picures the evolution
of the breed, many dogs
you will not recognise as Greman shepherds. ( and ,yes, Max refers to them as
German shepherd dogs,
only the G in German capitalized [p.41].)  One would be aghast to see the two
dogs pictured on pages
136 and 137 in the ring today, but Hector was a champion in 1900/1901.  So, you
see, it is all about
moving forward, becoming better, closer and closer to tne standard.  So, take a
look at this book, also
one by Winifred Strickland and Jimmy Moses, which shows a more recent pictoral
progress toward the
standard.  Last, I would ask you to contact the breeders of those dogs who have
been winners at the
national.  They are dedicated to the dogs and also to those people who want to
truly learn about the breed.
They will afford you the positive side of the sport, and are happy to guide you
without bias because
they love this breed.
Carolyn