[ SHOWGSD-L ] Breed Clubs and other clubs

  • From: GrnRam415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 00:21:33 EDT

I must say that I have gained a great deal of respect for all clubs and
members who put on a show.  There are two reasons for this.  The first is some
marvelous specialty shows I have recently attended.  The Tucson futurity and
specialty come to mind.  What a great show!
The second reason is putting together the herding fun day.  Now, I am not new
to being a club member and helping out when needed.  But I have been taken to
a new level in this event.  Now I am an organizer, contact person, advice
giver, reminder person, location supervisor and CGC Evaluator.  Yikes!  And, I
am
just a herding student.

Ok, I have an agenda.  I really like my herding instructor and want to see
her be able to keep her ranch and livelihood following her divorce.  It took 5
years of working with her deadbeat husband to finally get to train with her.
But, Good Grief, putting on an event is a lot of work with only a handful of
people willing to help.

If your agenda is to keep having shows in which to display your wonderful
dogs, perhaps you sideline sitters might want to get more involved.  Help with
raffles, offer to bring food or canopies, pick up poop or set-up, tear down.
Any little thing you can offer to your club will help.  One less thing to worry
about.  And, no excuses from you dinosaurs.  You have a wealth of knowledge
and contacts to make every show awesome.  You can motivate people to attend and
build entries.  You can be a familiar face for the newbies and can be active
just by selling raffle tickets, calling/e-mailing people (maybe not on the list
or on a club's mailing list) and getting them out there.  You can get the
newbies involved by making them ring stewards or giving them a job.  Anything
get them out there meeting the pillars of the breed.  Food for thought.

I know I will be busy on Sat but I am looking forward to it.  To all the new
people instinct testing their dogs.  To see the light in their eyes watching
their dog doing what it was bred to do.  To see the more advanced students
watching the progress their dogs have made.  Ah, the pride :-)  To see the dogs
pass their CGC's.  It's all worth the extra work from this humble herding
student.

Laura Thomas
http://www.treasureranchgsds.com/