[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Bracket Formula/least puppy, hodge-podge

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx, dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 20:28:22 -0400 (EDT)

Agree.

Furthermore, I want dogs/bitches from "cookie cutter" litters.  Line  breed
on those and they will breed "true".  I have passed on litters when  the
litters were a hodge-podge because, even though you might pick the best
puppy, (and it might be a heck of a dog in the ring),  it will produce
hodge-podge.

I was once told the litter is only as good as the least puppy...and BOY is
that true because if you keep a dog back from that litter "least puppy"
will  revisit you again and again in the whelping box.

"Least puppy" by the way could be structural or it could be health or
temperament....

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 7/24/2014 7:16:26 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Strongly  disagree, the first 3 generations are most important, as often
animals produce  traits like their grandparents and not the immediate parents.
People who do  protection work are not as interested in preserving
structural traits that can  be lost in one misstep breeding. If it were truly
this
simple as your "mentor"  states then an outstanding dog, bred to an
outstanding bitch would always  yield outstanding progeny, I think we all know
this
is not the case. On one  hand we have the "oversimplification" of dog
breeding, which was vocalized by  your mentor and which usually doesn't produce
desired results, and on the  other hand we have those who may know the top
winners, but lack the study  habits or simply don't have the knack to know the
difference between "winners"  and producers". The later breeders, if you want
to call them that are easily  duped by big win records beaucoup progeny
being shown, yet they pay very  little attention to the phenotype of the
progeny, they simply see numbers,  and numbers in their minds equal
"producers. Back when I started in the breed,  (boy do I sound old) we studied
pedigrees, we ferreted out who the real  producers were, and we paid attention
to the progeny phenotype. I didn't have  a mentor, so I had to rely on my
powers of observation and studying  bloodlines, and what lines seem to work
well together. so what I state above  is not conjecture, but actual breeding
principles that we applied in our own  breeding program. I think this
principles served us pretty well!  Christine

Subject: [  SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Bracket Formula
To: dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,  showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 7:44 PM

My  mentor in protection
dogs once told me that the most important dogs in  a
puppy's pedigree are the dam and the
sire!  Duh!  Simple but  true
Sent from
Xfinity Connect Mobile App