[ SHOWGSD-L ] Box of memories.....

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:53:31 -0500

Well the weather men said it was suppose to get nice out, and I waited
and waited and then finally today, they got it right.   I've been
wanting to go to my storage and rummage through some old boxes looking
for some things.  I didn't even know where to begin.  There's so many
boxes in there.  I wanted to look for a bag of syringes I have for when
I breed my Amber in a few weeks.  I knew I had them in there.  I saved
them.  Thank goodness, so I'll have them for her puppies shots.  Also I
was looking for old Reviews that I had saved.  I only saved the ones
that I advertised in.  Couldn't take them all.  Wow, looking at all
those ads from the 80's, (and so far, I've only had time to look at my
ads), I did a tremendous amount of advertising.  Most of them were 2, 3,
and 4 pages long.  These old Reviews were done so well.  There's a great
article on the Fords in one of them that I can't wait to read.  One of
the Reviews was 300 plus pages!  I can't wait to look at all the other
ads as well.

I was such a very fortunate person and still consider myself to be so.
I don't mean in the wealth department as one would expect wealth to
mean.  I mean I was surrounded by a wealth of magnificent people.  With
this box of old Reviews, I also had some dog albums of some of my first
litters.  My very first litter was from a bitch that Marge Dolan was
kind enough to lease to a very novice person..... me, (maybe she was a
Reno dtr.) and I bred her to Ch. Doppelt Tay's Steel Curtain.  I bred to
three of Lorraine Cliffords dogs.  Hawkeye and Hammer were the other
two.  Never did get anything from Hawkeye though.  The bitch missed.
But the "WOW" part of this, when I looked in my album................I
have pictures of Lorraine setting up Steel Curtain and Hammer out on her
front lawn and on her street in front of her house.  She was such a fun
and knowledgeable lady.   I have pictures of LaMar setting up Steel
Curtain, and Charlie for me.  LaMar was the ever showman!  None of these
were show pictures.  Just candid shots.  What great memories!

It broke my heart to read the long letter that someone wrote the other
day saying how hurt she was about having a well known breeder who she
was or did get a puppy from (I can't remember which) have her totally
snub her at the National.  I had some of the best breeders in the
business help me get started and they were better known than this person
is and they NEVER treated me this way.  I started out with Capt.
Goldbecker, Marge Dolan, and Lorraine Clifford.  All fantastically
helpful and great mentors.  I went on to be good friends with Connie
Beckhardt who was just about the nicest person in the breed and I can
never thank the Conroy's enough for selling me Xanadu.  I have used
every well known handler on the east coast, and never was any of them
nasty or rude to me.  My very first handler was Jimmy and he was always
very professional with me.  I worked well with them all, Leslie, LaMar,
George, Scott, Billy, Henry, Freddie and never had a problem.  None of
them used filthy language with me or got out of hand.  I guess it all
goes back to the saying people treat you the way that you allow them to
treat you.

Now I've been back in the breed only over a year and am privileged to
own a bitch from one of Barbara Amidon's breedings.  Nice way to start
again.  So why are not more people helping the novice who so desperately
wants to be helped?  I had the best people in the dog game help me.
What's going on with the top breeders today?.  Certainly, none of them
are anymore prestigious than those that were kind to me.  Please be kind
to the future of our breed, so some day when these people pull out their
old Reviews and their own dog albums that they can look back fondly as I
did on all those that helped them get where they will some day be too.
Kindness actually takes less energy than rudeness.  Best,  Barbara Galasso