[ SHOWGSD-L ] Bodo

  • From: SCHARO1@xxxxxxx
  • To: irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:10:38 EST

In a message dated 12/16/2004 9:53:12 A.M. Central Standard Time,
irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Bodo v  Lierberg managed to finish his American championship, and also got
his  ROM.  Asslan v Klammle was a very beautiful dog.  Unfortunately he
could
not seem to reproduce himself, and produced a very tough temperament  which
did not suit American breeders.  He, too was an American  Champion. He did
not complete his ROM, though he did produce three  champions. I saw this dog
at the National, and he was, indeed, very  beautiful.

In 1968 we were living in Mannheim, Germany.  Bob was a Lt, in a tank
company, and we wanted to get a GSD while we were there.  Fortunately for  us,
his
First Srgt. had married into a German family which was very involved in
breeding .  He insisted in helping Bob secure a well  bred  shepherd.  From the
Verheim Kennel Club, we purchased a Bodo Von Lierberg  grandson.  His sire was
Joll vom Bemholt, who was the first German bred GSD  to finish an English
championship after WWII.
We knew nothing about dogs, temperment,  GSD, etc.But we got a  fantastic
dog.  HE had a tremendous Ball drive, (which i guess is Play  drive)  HE had an
understanding vocabulary of probably 300 phrases.   (We did not know to train
by one work phrases.  We said,"Ranger, go over  there and lay down.  NO, not
there, the sun is too hot.  Move to the  shade."  OF course he understood
perfectly. He was protective of us,  house and kids.  He chased off several
prowlers, and guarded the kids when  they played outside.  He loved our friends
but
would not tolerate any dog  bigger than himself.  When introduced to Shutzhund,
he "came out" on the  first try. We lost him at age 6 to torsion.  It was like
loosing our   first born.  He set the standard for temperament that we use in
the dogs we  breed today.  Thank you Bodo.
Carol Moore