[ SHOWGSD-L ] Boat emergency update

  • From: falkrigia@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:23:33 -0400

Summer (Falkrigia's Summer Wine) died this morning. The stomach was compromised
to the point that it would not recover viability.

Fortunately the founder of this clinic (father of the arrogant young
partner-owner?I fought it out with Sunday) was there and we had a very long and
productive private meeting. He was astounded to learn of the situation and
agreed with my assesment of things every inch of the way - even to the attitude
of his son in regards to it.

He said he would handle things and I believe he will. He is from the old school
and stated immediately that there was no excuse for what had happened and that
he would have had her opened up immediately. He said he would take care of the
staff situation. And also his son. :-)

He understood my concern in referring people to them in the future and
acknowledged that they had screwed up badly. I also pointed out to him that
their own website information on bloat stated that it was an 'extreme
veterinary emergency' requiring immediate action and timely surgery to have any
decent chance for survival.

He said that was his position on it and that that had never changed.

He was a veterinarian when I was just starting out in GSDs and he had an
excellent reputation. He's?familiar with who i am in the business world here
also and so that gave us an additional point of reference to converse from.

I feel that this will probably not happen again at this clinic. From the
actions of everyone from the time we walked in this morning, the place had
obviously already been turned on its ear by the battles on Sunday and Gene's
visit to Summer yesterday in which he cut them no slack and he wouldn't allow
the younger owner-vet to even touch her today before her euthanization. And I
believe the older vet is a man of his word and will deal with them all now?that
he's aware of what took place with Summer.

I do fault the young female vet who was in charge of Summer's case but?I fault
the ownership more as they did not have the back-up vet staff in place to allow
her to effectively make the right decisions.

The death of a dog is always a sad thing for us even though she was one of many
and not the 'only one' but I?think it's really important for us to realize how
terribly devastating it is for those who lose their only companion - or for
children perhaps their life-long companion. And that's the way I approached
this battle with them.This battle was not just for Summer. It was even more for
the senior citizen or the child who would bring his dog in for care there.

Summer is gone but perhaps others will live because the battle was fought. Time
will tell.

Thanks to everyone who sent notes and especially info. It wasn't necessary to
use it all but i was well-armed. :-)
lynda